Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thursday's Thoughts and Things

I started reading The Help.
It's the first book I've read in a LONG time.
I used to read constantly. *I was once accused of being stuck up, because I was reading on my lunch break instead of chit-chatting... That guy was an ass.
Anyways.
Why did I stop reading?
I think it was because I thought I would read Don Quixote.
....................
It was a really great book... just sometimes difficult. Always having to read the footnotes to understand what I just read.  Well over 1000 pages.  It took me so long to read.  *I don't recall how many pages, and I'm too lazy to go find it and look.  I also don't recall how long it took to read... it was probably 7-8 years ago...
.....................
Anyways, after that book.. I was done for a while.
And then I just didn't feel like I had the time to read.. what with seeing Jerk Face and all..
and then when I had LB, I REALLY didn't have much time for myself.
But, I'm finally getting a groove.
I've learned the value of coffee.
(I was/am not a coffee drinker.. but I make... coffee concoctions.)
and I'm waking up before LB... which is wonderful.

Back to The Help.
I also read it out loud to LB, and I read it in the Southern way it was written.
I've always loved talking in accents.
A refined Southern accent is my favorite.
(That's how I make Miss Skeeter speak... and Miss Daisy -- that's one of LB's toys)

**True Story**
I was a in the 6th or 7th grade. Painfully shy.  We had an assignment where we had to read in front of the class. (I hated that... pure torture.)  I had read my paper at home several times... in a British accent.. to make it seem less boring..  After I read it in class, my teacher told me that she loved how I spoke with a British accent.  ::MORTIFIED:: (to put it mildly.)

So the point of this post?
I have been speaking in a Southern accent at home. And not meaning to do it...
Sorry if I start blogging with a bit of a Southern twang.
*smile y'all!*

2 comments:

Lucy The Valiant said...

Oooh, I can't wait to read The Help! I loved the movie!

Book accents are sneaky! Last year I read To Kill A Mockingbird aloud to all my classes and got VERY Southern. Even when I wasn't reading. This year it's David Copperfield, and I'm getting all kinds of British. None of my students has commented on this...yet...but I can hear it!

momnextdoor said...

The Help was a GREAT book! I haven't seen the movie yet but I hope to before I die. (I'm not dying anytime soon - at least I hope not.)

I LOVE talking in accents. I'm really, REALLY bad at them but I do it anyway.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...